Friday, May 9, 2008

Re-Eval Shows Real Progress - Davis Dyslexia or SPLA Therapy?

Coleman just completed an annual reevaluation at his Speech/Language Therapist's office. The progress that has been made in one year is amazing! He's maintained As and Bs in his accelerated private school; he can read and do homework independently (and correctly) for the most part; and most importantly, much of the anxiety and worry has gone away. His Grays test results show that he is now on grade level or above on all aspects except decoding and word attack. In some areas he's 2-3 grade levels above.

On the way home from the results meeting, I explained that he would not need to go back to SPLA therapy any longer. He said... "I don't know why I ever went in the first place. The only thing that ever really helped was Scott!" (Scott being is Davis Dyslexia program guide).

I don't know that I agree with Coleman's perspective 100%... I saw real progress with his rapid naming and writing skills during the sessions with the SPLA therapist (Linda Lane at Scottish Rite in Ga). She also taught Coleman to work past the frustration and keep going without giving up/breaking down; and to have fun while learning. We are very thankful for her help and personal support!

I do know, though, that nothing else made such an immediate significant difference than did the week he spent in the Davis program. I will be forever grateful to the Davis program and Scott. I wish EVERY child struggling could have this experience. I wish it was covered by insurance or part of today's public school services.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home